Viewing the world through a prism

 As we see the world devolve into chaos and violence, I have begun to observe people, their behaviors, and how most people view society and to be honest it has been eye opening.  Every day in our media we see groups from far-left movements like Black Lives Matter to far-right movements like the Patriot front highlighted or mocked.  The media wants us to believe that Americans support one or the other when the truth is most Americans fall somewhere in the middle-left or middle-right.  The media tells us that if you want women to have a choice on abortion you must be 100% pro-abortion and if you don't then you are against a womans right to proper healthcare.  They tell us if you are not actively denouncing racism and fighting against it then you support racist ideas.  If you are against illegal immigration, then you hate all immigrants.  If you don't support the Government providing someone their entire existence then you hate poor people.  See how they make everything black and white?

I had an interesting discussion with a liberal co-worker yesterday.  He stated that people on "one side" of the discussion are rich assholes who have zero empathy for poor people because they "never lived it."  His idea was that right leaning conservatives were against welfare and helping people who may be struggling.  He couldn't see that most conservative indeed want to help people to an extent, we just don't want to support them for life. His view was that because they were rich, they must have been born into it.  He stated that in climbing the mountain of life some people start at the basecamp and others start halfway up the mountain.  His point being the "silver spoon" people are given a leg up and thus have a greater ability to succeed vs someone born into a working-class home.  While I agree the working-class person has to work harder to achieve the same result, I disagree that is cannot be done.  America is unique in that citizens can transverse classes.  They can with effort and work elevate themselves from lower-class to middle or upper-class.  At the same time someone born into the upper-class can fall into the middle or lower-class by making little or no effort.  That is what makes us an amazing place to live.

These kinds of ideology are the reason for the title of this blog.  Each of us uniquely views the world through our chosen prism.  We select how we view events and situations based on a myriad of factors ranging from family structure, friends groups, media ingested, music we listen to, and community we live in.  I was married to an African American woman and one of our first dates we went to a restaurant. While we were there an older white woman walked by our table several times.  The third time she walked by my date got visibly angry and said "If she glares at us again, I am going to say something."  I hadn't noticed the woman looking in our direction but she did.  When I asked what was going on I was told the woman was walking by glaring because she obviously didn't think a black woman and a white man should be on a date.  I told her to let it go, it was no big deal.  My date said she couldn't let it go because "racism should be pointed out so people can evolve." My position was simple, the older lady, if she indeed had an issue with us, was raised in a different era and most likely was beyond the age of "evolving" into modern society.  If she indeed looked at black people as violent or angry I saw no value in my date getting angry and getting in her face because that would simply reenforce the old woman's views.  That situation highlights what I mean when I say we view the world through our prism.

We see the same thing in news stories highlighting violence against minorities.  We see story after story about "racist cops" hunting down and killing black people.  At the same time mods of black people beating white people is shown as a fight against racism, it makes no sense.  Violence against anyone of a different ethnicity based on their race is wrong.  Police brutality against anyone based on race is wrong.  Violence against police because of their profession is wrong.  So the question becomes, how do we stop seeing the world through a specific lens?  To me the answer is we need to communicate with people of all backgrounds, stand on good morals and values, respect all human life (in and out of the womb), encourage marriage and families, renew or faith in a higher power, stop being selfish, stand up for what is morally right and just, and most of all respect everyone!  In elementary school I was taught the Golden Rule, that is how I live my life.  I may disagree with views or beliefs someone may have but it doesn't mean I hate them.  I don't have to support your lifestyle, it doesn't mean I hate you. We need to stop thinking everyone who disagrees with us hates us or wants the worse for us.

In a world where hate and violence are the norm we need to strive to do and act as we want to be treated.  Love everyone and do what you can to make ripples in your pond.  Small acts of kindness makes a difference.  Make an effort to know why you view the world the way you do and work to see it from all angles.  I pray we change the path we are on as I love my country and want us to continue to thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Debates, Elections and Indictments oh my

Why as this year flies by do I feel more and more like Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz?  Swept away to some far away land where nothing makes sen...